Sunday, July 17, 2011

learning and loving.

It's a funny thing, the mind. My whole life I thought that people that accepted what they had in life were weak and unmotivated. I didn't understand why people were quiet when things didn't always go their way. I thought they needed to stand up for themselves. Be bold and take a stand.

As I sat at church today and Ryan preached about being content, I realized something. These people I considered "weak" and "not motivated" were really just content. Take Brett for instance, I have many times referred to him as the calm to my storm, but I never truly appreciated it as much as I do this morning. He knows that he is doing his best every single day and is a good man. He is content. He never compares himself to others and what others have. Not because he doesn't want more, but because he is content. Not because he is weak, but because he is content. He doesn't need a sermon each week to remind him not to judge, to love himself and to love others, it's the core of who he is. I'm still in awe. {And in love}

This made me look at myself. I can be too critical for no reason, quite often. I have embraced the idea that I want to be involved in an outward focused church, but realized today I haven't embraced it for myself. I don't want to judge others. We all have our own journeys and who am I to assume you aren't living your life the right way. Only child syndrome maybe. Who knows... and quite frankly who cares, I just want to make sure I do good by others from here on out. Judgement isn't for this Earth anyways.

I feel really blessed to have had be introduced to Brett. He is authentic and genuine. He loves unconditionally and forever. He has taught me these things, too. I will be eternally grateful to Jarrod Turner, who for whatever reason set me up with his best friend. They no longer talk, for reasons no one remembers, I just hope one day I will be able to thank him for giving me the love of my life, the man who reminds me daily that I want to be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment