Wednesday, May 25, 2011

making a difference.

Today is Oprah's last show and as I have watched her show this week I continue to be moved by her power. She, one person, has effected more lives than any of us can grasp and it is simply amazing. Whether you are a fan or a critic what she has done is undeniable. She is compassionate and loves humanity. She is thoughtful and caring. She listens, truly listens, to others.

So while getting ready this morning I started thinking what can I do to make a difference. It doesn't have to be on the scale that Oprah reached the world, but I too can make a difference. I am going to make a difference and that I decided this morning. It may not be big, but I want to put a smile on someone's face or lend a helping hand to a stranger. This I CAN do.

So with this in mind I created a 30 Day Challenge: Lend A Helping Hand. It's a take on the photo challenge, but one that will help us better one another. Some of the things are repeated, but the idea is simple. Be thoughtful, live a full life and give back.

30 Day Challenge: Lend A Helping Hand

1.   Offer to help a complete stranger.
2.   Hold the door open for someone.
3.   Ask someone you don’t know how their day is going.
4.   Smile at everyone you pass today.
5.   Call a local charity and ask how your family may contribute.
6.   Write a thank you note to a friend or family member.
7.   Be a friend.
8.   Donate item/items to Goodwill, Salvation Army or your local thrift store.
9.   Tell someone how much they mean to you.
10.   Do something nice for someone you normally see, but don’t interact with.
11.   Call a friend you haven’t talked to in a long time.
12.   Be accountable today. If you say you will do something, do it.
13.   Pray for someone who is having a hard time.
14.  Be thankful for your job today. At least we have one.
15.   Be grateful for all you have.
16.   Thank someone for something they did for you.
17.   Be thoughtful.
18.   Have positive attitude all day today. Count to 10 if you start to get stressed… that always helps me.
19.   Tell everyone you encounter to have a wonderful day and mean it!
20.   Welcome someone new into your life.
21.   Take a beautiful, smiling picture of yourself and put it on your fridge or somewhere you will see it to remind yourself that happiness is beauty.
22.   Smile all day long.
23.   Thank a complete stranger for anything, whether it be holding a door open for you or handing you something you need.
24.   Encourage someone.
25.   Be thoughtful.
26.   Make someone else smile.
27.   Lend a helping hand.
28.   Speak the truth in love to everyone today.
29.   Be a friend.
30.   Thank our good Lord for all you have each and every day. It is because of Him we have the ability to live our lives to the fullest each day… so do it and help someone in the process.

I am beginning this today. Start when you are ready, but do it with love. Let the intention be wholesome and filled with love. While helping others let them also help you because that has been an eye opening experience for me. I am strong, but I still seek help and guidance. It is through receving this help that I realized the power of helping another person.

So I challenge you, as I challenge myself, to make a difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment